View All Posts
Posted on May 30, 2017 at 10:57 AM by Ryan Hiniker
Drainage update 5/30/2017
Upcoming Drainage Hearings or Meetings:
· JD09& JD34 (LeRay Twp.) We will be having final improvement hearings coming up at the June 6th Board of Commissioners meeting. More details and specific times for these hearings will be posted later this week, click here for the link.
· CD28 (Lincoln Twp.) No activity last week due to very wet conditions. Hopefully we get a break in the weather so both crews can continue on with their repairs. Picture below shows just how much water is in the boring pit.
· CD86 (Beauford Twp.) DMI crews made great progress this last week. They actually finished installing all of the originally planned pipe for this repair project. In the process of getting to where we were going to connect the brand new pipe to existing pipe, crews found additional broken pipe and more new pipe was needed to be installed. We have since then televised the additional pipe and area of concern but haven’t completely determined just how much additional footage of new pipe will be needed, but it will be substantial. The repair project now has been extended because of additional issues with existing pipe.
· CD56 (Garden City Twp.) This a large scale repair project that actually started May 24 of this last week. This repair project is mostly a cleaning of the ditch and also of buffer areas (16.5 feet from top of ditch bank). The crews started in town (Lake Crystal) where they are cutting and removing trees and brush from the top of the ditch bank extending out 16.5 feet. This is being cleaned for maintenance and inspection purposes. We (drainage authority) have an obligation to maintain these public ditch systems. Part of this maintenance includes cleaning the buffer area and also the ditch area itself.
Hopefully everyone had a good Memorial Day weekend. I just personally wanted to thank those who serve and protect our great nation. It’s easy to forget that the true meaning of this holiday is more than just celebrating with friends and family. Thank you to those who serve, have served and their families. They sacrifice more than many of us may know, and we thank you all.
Recent Drainage Inspections – week of May 22 – May 26:
· JD38 (Shelby Twp.) There was an issue a few weeks back where a major blow out along the tile system developed. A crew was on site last week trying to start making repairs and find out just why this blew out so badly. It was interesting what we found. Crews dug up a twenty foot section of 36 inch dual wall pipe that had completely collapsed. That is pretty impressive when you think of how strong this dual wall pipe is.
· CD86 (Beauford Twp.) I stopped by this repair project multiple times as additional issues were discovered with bad pipe.
· CD56 (Garden City Twp.) This major repair project started up last Wednesday. Crews are currently working their way through the city of Lake Crystal clearing trees and brush along the open ditch system. This is a very large project and many trees are being removed. We have received many calls or concerns about trees being cut. Please call or email your concerns if you live on this ditch system and have land being affected.
· CD76 (McPherson Twp.) I met with a land owner with additional concerns and ongoing issues with this old tile systems. Some ideas and thoughts are in the process to help improve this aging system.
Please call with issues you observe on our public drainage system, as there is a lot of open ditch and tile in our county and only two of us in the drainage department. We will do our absolute best to service your issues and concerns as we receive them.
We require that all repairs to a county drainage system (tile or open ditch) be authorized by one us in the drainage office, either Craig or myself, before any repairs are made.
Drainage Management Specialist
Drainage Management Specialist